Like a Phoenix from the Ashes

You thought I was gone right? Never to return. I'm sure you've seen it many times...a blogger who just can't find the time to write, eventually drifting off into the great unknown, all but forgotten by everyone.

Well, I have returned. I make no grand promises as to this blog of mine...I've made that mistake before. But I am still here. I do still have a lot to say. I just need to learn to take time for myself, so that I can say it.

Life has been crazy. Insane. A brief update...and then hopefully I'll be able to keep up from there. There were 2 major events since the last time I wrote. Not by a long shot all that has happened but the things that have most affected me, for sure.

In December of 2009, I wrote about how we had gone from a family of 3 to a family of 6 and that in the year 2010 our 3 "new" kids would be officially adopted and part of our forever family.

Well, our not-so-"new" kids are doing really well...we are all still adjusting to life with each other. That will be on-going I'm sure. But we are a family now, with all the bumps and bruises and hugs and kisses to prove it. Just not the paperwork. You see, although they were supposed to be adopted in 2010...they weren't. It just didn't happen...the boys (10 & 9) have a lot of issues, one has autism and one with a LOT of emotional problems. However, "for real" this time, they will be adopted in 2011. We are filing the paperwork this month, and although we were told it could take up to 5 months to finalize, they WILL be adopted this year. It will be nice to have things finalized, although to us, at this point it is just a piece of paper which will say what we already know.

The other thing that happened...is the hardest thing for me. I have still not dealt with all of my emotions surrounding this, and I think that is in part why I felt the strong urge to come back to my blog. I need to have somewhere to go, somewhere I can say how I truly feel without worrying about how someone else is going to take it. Almost 2 years ago, in April 2009, I wrote about how they had found a tumor in my dad's brain. How it wasn't cancerous. How we were all happy about that and were adjusting to life as it would be - with my dad having radiation treatments and then lifelong monitoring of his brain to be sure the tumor wasn't growing. The tumor shrunk and we all moved on, although it was "a new normal" for us. It made me realize the frailty of life, and the fact that my parents truly weren't going to be around forever.

This year that fact was hit home even harder, with a much more forceful awakening. My dad was diagnosed with Mantle Cell Lymphoma, a rare form of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma which makes up only something like 5% of all cases. The VA has said that it is related to his exposure to Agent Orange in Vietnam. The life expectancy of MCL is only on average about 4 years, but it could be a few more or a few less. Nothing they can do will extend that, barring some new treatment becoming available in the next few years. This has been so hard to come to terms with. It's still hard to even think about, and I don't think the full realization of it has hit me yet. My dad is dying...and I can't even say those words out loud. It's hard enough just to type them without backspacing and erasing them from the page. As though it would erase them from being true...I wish it would. I wish there was a backspace key so I could edit that stupid disease from my dad's body. But for now, until some brilliant scientist comes up with a medical backspace key that will save my dad...I am going to have to learn to enjoy every day I have left with him and make the most of it. I don't necessarily think I've taken my family for granted a lot...but this has shown me that every day with them is precious. You may think you have all the time in the world with someone, but you just don't. You just never know when some tragedy will take away someone - it could be a cancer diagnosis that might give them a few years, or a car wreck that will take them away tomorrow. Hold the people you love tightly, let them know they love you every day. That is the lesson I'm learning, I just wish it wasn't such a tough one.

Until next time...Love,
Mariah

2 comments:

  1. I love you and your family Mariah, and my heart is so with you. I am glad you are writing here again, sometimes you just need to write it out to feel a little better. Just make sure that the focus...is that your sweet, wonderful, father is still here with us and not how long he has left. I know, easier said than done, I will pray for a miracle and enjoy all of you for as long as I am around. Bigg Huggs to you!! ~Jessie

     
  2. This brought tears to my eyes, Im sorry you are going through this. I lost 2 of my uncles to heart disease 3 months from each other and Im still trying to deal with it. My prayers are with you, and I hope you get everything finalized with your boys.